Hamilton students perform in the 25th Putnam County Annual Spelling Bee
Imani Horn

Seniors Give Their All in Winter Musical

With the first semester coming to an end, this semester’s musical The 25th Annual  Putnam County Spelling Bee has been a highlight for many theater students and theater lovers. Considerably each student did an amazing job for the award-winning show, the musical had many fun and creative songs with immersive choreography. The premise of the musical is a lighthearted performance about different children wanting to win the spelling bee whilst dealing with their issues. There are nine main characters in the show each trying to win the Spelling Bee or hosting the Bee. 

With fun and exciting parts in the show, this show was able to include improved audience participation. Although this was a hilarious comedy show, it wasn’t easy to get here. Both actors and musicians had been rehearsing for months, especially the seniors. With seniors wrapping up their year and musical theater career at Hamilton, rigorous preparation for their various roles was emphasized.

Micheal Correa, a senior in AMPA who is heavily involved on campus described his process when preparing for his role as Mitch Mahoney, “I am not a tenor or a high tenor, I’m a bass, so going through the challenge of learning Mitch’s music specifically, has been very fun and difficult. Of course, that’s what happens when you get a challenge, Although, think I have been able to succeed in this role.” 

Additionally, some of the other seniors had mentioned some of their struggles within their character.

For example, Madison Horne— who played Rona Lia Peretti stated, “I think I have figured out the improvement and the comedic timing of everything, because I feel like my comments have gotten progressively, either progressively better or progressively worse and I’ve just been trying to figure out the balance between everything”. 

Although she had struggled in the beginning, the show was a hit! Every comment that she made was found to be enjoyable to the audience. No matter what the struggles were, the seniors worked hard to overcome the most difficult challenges. 

When speaking to the stage manager (Lindsay Lopez) about her struggles working the show, Madison said, “I think the most difficult thing for me was being organized. I just got a lot of information every single day, and making sure that I get it to the right people at the right time and making sure that I have the updated information was really difficult.” 

Despite their challenges, the seniors encourage incoming students to participate in musical or technical theater, even providing advice for them. 

Students like Amalia Schwartz, a senior in AMPA, who played as Schwartzy said, “Don’t take anything personally when a director yells at you. Nothing has to do with you, and they only do this to improve the show.” 

Madison Honore highlights the challenges that come with being in musical theater saying: “If you want to go into musical theater, it’s a hard career and passion to go into, just because of possible acceptances and possible rejections. So I would say just don’t be afraid to put yourself out there.” 

Micheal Correa added, “It’s OK if you don’t get every single role. Just make sure you do what you can to have fun and get ready to be humbled because musical theater can be very competitive. Also, you might think you want a role, or think this role might be perfect for you. And the minute that cast list comes out, you either didn’t make it, or you got an ensemble role, or you got a role you never thought yourself being in. But all in all, it’s a really fun and rewarding experience to be a part of.”  

Lindsay also stated, “I’d say just be patient with yourself and be patient with everyone else. Because from other tech positions, you all work together to put on the musical. You each have to be understanding and learn how to communicate with one another to fully be able to work together.”

Jasmine Lopez, a Senior in AMPA who works in costuming advises those interested in a similar role, saying “I would say for people coming in, it’s very demanding. You have to be able to catch on to things quickly and voice what you are doing especially if you’re working a show. I would also say to work together with your crew. They’re all going to be in that same little area and you’re all going to be working with each other. They’re going to be who’s helping you during the show and they’re going to be there for you whenever you need it.” 

Challenges may present, but the performance is an enjoyable experience for those participating in it regardless, according to the accounts of multiple seniors. 

Madison Honere said, “Honestly, I think my favorite number is probably tied between Pandemonium and Prayer, just because they’re both super fun numbers. to do and everybody has a lot of fun with them.”

Michel Correa added, “Honestly, it’s my song, Prayer. I love it, it’s amazing. I get to take people to church. I get to take specific people to church.”

Lindsay Lopez, the stage manager, also shared, “I think the best part is having to see everyone grow together and seeing the show improve each time. The process is probably one of the most satisfying things to see”

Cody Holmes, a senior in AMPA who plays Chip Tolentino stated,” My favorite part was working with the whole cast. We have all gotten close to each other and it’s been a lot of fun getting to do another show with some of my coolest friends.” 

As we draw closer to the end, it can be said that all seniors in the AMPA’s performing arts program have never seemed to fail us. They have always made sure to put on an amazing show for all to enjoy. The Award-winning 25th annual Putnam County Spelling Bee will go down in Hamilton’s History as yet another hit show.