The Federalist

The Student News Site of Alexander Hamilton Senior High

The Federalist

The Federalist

Is Technology Bad For Our Social Skills?

Kayse Garcia
Student on their phone

It’s common for students to distance themselves from others. Maybe it’s because they’re timid or anti-social. Technology draws people’s attention from the real world, distracting people. Because of technology, it is harder for students to become social and make friends. 

Sure, technology can keep someone entertained, but it’s just a matter of time until they get tired of watching stuff and being unable to talk to anyone because of their poor social skills. 

Students can improve their social skills by putting their phones away and having the courage to talk to others and find a common interest. As someone who used social media to distract me from talking to others, this is scary, because thoughts go through people’s heads that make them either uncomfortable or just nervous. For example, something that can be thought of is “What if I embarrass myself?” or “What if they don’t like me?” It’s easy to understand why people might have trouble putting the phones away. 

There are many different reasons as to why people are like this. An example could be that at home, someone is being neglected and believes that they’re a nuisance, which is just plain wrong! And they might think the same at school, that no one would want to talk to them, when I’m sure some people do. 

An easy way a student can feel more comfortable or social is to join a club that interests them. It’s an easy way to find people with similar interests and make friends. For example, a dance club is full of people who enjoy dancing or want to learn how. Dancing is a way people like to express themselves and be proud of it. 

However, students may prefer being alone as opposed to talking to people. These students may still enjoy putting away their technology and drawing, reading, or taking a walk. It just all depends on that person, but coming out of your shell and putting down the tech can go a long way, and the experiences you have after will make you wonder why you were stuck in that shell for so long to begin with.