The Federalist

The Student News Site of Alexander Hamilton Senior High

The Federalist

The Federalist

Girls’ basketball wins in thrilling showdown, heads to semifinals

King Colbert
The girls prepare for their game this weekend at practice in the Hamilton gym.

The Hamilton girls basketball team soared to victory in a nail-biting playoff game, showcasing their exceptional skills and unwavering determination. The team’s remarkable performance left fans on the edge of their seats, celebrating a well-deserved win.

In a thrilling showdown against their formidable opponents Granada Hills, the Yankees demonstrated their power on the court. The game was a true testament to their hard work, dedication, and teamwork throughout the 2023-2024 season.

From the opening tip-off, the players showcased their talent, executing precise passes and displaying impressive shooting accuracy. The team’s offensive plays, however, were met with a resolute Granada Hills defense, preventing the Hami girls from gaining any significant advantage. Despite Granada Hills’ strong defense, the Yankees still came out on top, ending the half 36-31.

Led by their exceptional coaching staff, the players showcased their versatility and adaptability, seamlessly transitioning between offensive and defensive strategies. The team’s cohesive gameplay allowed them to maintain control of the game, even during moments of pressure.

Although the players showed individual brilliance, the win was a collective effort, with every player contributing their unique skills and strengths to secure the victory. The team’s chemistry was evident on the court, as they supported and encouraged each other throughout the game.

The final moments of the game were filled with anticipation and excitement. With the score tied, 52-52, Hamilton pushed through to win the game 67-52. With this win, cheers and applause erupted throughout the gymnasium, celebrating the team’s hard-fought triumph.

Coach Sherland Chensam expressed immense pride in the team’s performance, praising their determination and resilience. 

“These girls have worked incredibly hard all season, and their dedication has paid off,” Coach Chensam said. “I couldn’t be prouder of their accomplishments.”

The victory propels Hamilton’s girls’ basketball team to the semifinal round of the playoffs, where they will face the Westchester Comets at El Camino College this Saturday at 1 p.m.

Captain #7 Jade Fort, a junior in BIT, said the team is prepared for the upcoming games.

“We’ve been watching a lot of film and studying so I feel like we know what we need to do in order to win,” Jade said.

King Colbert contributed reporting to this article.