The Federalist

The Student News Site of Alexander Hamilton Senior High

The Federalist

The Federalist

Hami Prepares for Spring Testing Season

Testing coordinator Ms. Pitts prepares for SBAC testing which begins Monday.

Hamilton’s testing season begins this Monday when juniors start the state SBA test. This requires all 11th grade students to test for science, English, and math. The testing will take place within students’ homebase classrooms from April 22-30. While students may not enjoy the testing process, testing allows LAUSD to determine where students are with their studies.

When asked about why students should take the test seriously, College Counselor Ms. Monroy stated that, “A lot of students don’t know this, but Cal States use those SBAC scores to determine your course levels as an incoming freshman.”

To motivate and encourage students during testing, Hami will be having a competition and raffle. This will include a VIP entrance for all juniors at the Brown building, along with a spirit day on 4/22 where students should wear their SLC gear. Also, every day there is testing, five participating students’ names will be drawn in a raffle. 

Mr. Co, an SAS math teacher, said the test was important not just for students but for Hamilton’s image.

“Everyone looks at our scores before coming to Hamilton, not only parents, but colleges, to ensure we prep properly,” Mr. Co said.

These tests are a graduation requirement for students. If a student does not take the test this year, they must take the test when they are being administered during their senior year. There are seniors this year who will be making up testing from last year. SBAC testing also counts towards students’ Seal of Biliteracy. 

SAS junior Praxedis Valesco said that the junior class sees the test as one more hurdle toward college.

“We’re all a little anxious and nervous, despite the goals we have ahead of us,” Praxedis said.