The Federalist

The Student News Site of Alexander Hamilton Senior High

The Federalist

The Federalist

Hami athletes take their skills to prom
Showcase
Hami athletes take their skills to prom
Eric Sandoval, Assistant Sports Editor • May 17, 2024
Senior Yanks take group picture in celebration a win on Senior Night.
Showcase
Hamilton High School Baseball Team Wins on Senior Night, Moves On To CIF D1 Playoffs Today
Eric Sandoval, Assistant Sports Editor • May 16, 2024
Many students say writers block leaves them frustrated.
Student Life
From stagnation to inspiration: defeating writer's block
Ava Langford, Senior Writer • May 13, 2024
Newly installed lights rise above the baseball field, with the football field under construction behind the fence.
News
Hami construction project progresses "completely on time"
Francisco Gregorio, Staff Writer • May 9, 2024
Behavioral health therapist Bex Rebecca Montes explains how being a role model for youth brings her so much joy. “Being a behavioral health therapist working with teens is creating a space for them to express themselves and share their wisdom, she says. In therapy, each student I work with has shown a deep ability for self-reflection and a willingness to learn, offering incredible insights from which Ive learned a great deal. I also enjoy the fun and joy we experience together. Young people have such a great sense of humor! I cherish the role of being a supportive adult who walks alongside them during times of change and difficulty. Its incredibly rewarding to team up with young people in their healing process, providing tools and watching them transform, showing themselves that change is possible.
Student Life
The Well-Being Center creates a safe environment for Hami students
Nyla Marie Grimaldo, Photo Editor • May 1, 2024

The antidote to doomscrolling: hopecore

Arisa Thomas
Hopecore commonly uses images of animals with meaningful messages. Created using Canva.

Much like other adolescents, SAS Junior Nazaya Grant often finds herself looking at other girls’ pictures or lifestyles on social media and wishing she had what they did.

“I was scrolling through my for you page on TikTok and saw a girl my age who seemed like she had everything figured out,” Nazaya said. “She travels often, has a lot of money, has the ‘ideal’ body, is overall very attractive, and seemed like a very nice person to be around. I had spent weeks thinking ‘My life isn’t fair, her life is so perfect.'”

This is the reality of social media today: a web of comparison and lies. it is incredibly easy to find yourself entrapped in what feels to be endless gloom and comparison. Deep pessimism has embedded itself into social media, weaving itself into the subconscious of mindless scrollers. 

Oddly enough, the fix to this might not be getting off social media – the fix could be more social media, now overthrown by a trend called Hopecore. 

Hopecore is, simply put, a rejection of doomism, or extreme fatalistic and pessimistic viewpoints. It’s a blend of philosophy and aesthetics that evokes a unique combination of emotions:

1. Sonder: The feeling of realizing everyone, including strangers, has a life as complex as one’s own.
  2. Yūgen: A profound, mysterious sense of the beauty of the universe and the sad beauty of human suffering. It encourages the idea that beauty does not exist in a literal sense. 
  3. Melancholy: Sadness that arises at the realization suffering is at the heart of humanity. It is not bitterness, but tender-hearted acceptance of it. 
  4. Humanity: An understanding that all humans exist collectively. This feeling encourages morality and compassion.
  5. And most importantly, hope.

Hopecore serves as a reminder of the pureness found in humanity and nature. Through focusing on the beauty of everyday interactions with nature, animals, and even intimate objects, its main message seems to be that happiness is truly simple to achieve and that everything will be okay. 

According to Nazaya, this message is reaching its audience. “Hopecore has definitely helped me to see things in a more positive way,” she said. “People’s opinions on Hopecore may vary but I think it helps push a lot of people to try and do better and fix their lives instead of comparing themselves to others.”

SAS Junior Elvis Neal claimed it brought realization upon him, “They make me realize how bad all the other videos I was watching are which motivates me to get off social media,” he explained. “It gives out a positive message and they give me joy.”

Hopecore is commonly seen in cute slideshows featuring images of scenery and animals accompanied by quotes, motivational videos, and memes with a replaced message of positivity.

“To refuel and replenish ourselves in a life-giving way, we need to embrace life’s little joys. To be curious about the way the sunlight dances through the trees, or why the little finch is singing so loudly. We need to notice the sky at dawn, the little bud that has flowered, and the girl on the bike with her ponytails flying in the breeze because these moments are power foods for the human soul.”

— Homaira Kabir, The Overlooked Benefits of Little Joys

With over 2.2 billion views on TikTok, multiple Pinterest boards, and appearances on YouTube and in movies, it’s becoming harder to avoid. 

Despite this, opinions differ on whether or not it will last. “I don’t think it’ll remain popular but I think it should,” said AMPA junior Jekaili Bey.

Hopecore has appeared many times in the past with different names such as “optimistic nihilism” or “the indomitable human spirit.” Despite this, its core is always the same: making a conscious decision to love, care, and exist beyond the typical pessimism that has taken over society. Fingers crossed, this time, hope is here to stay.